Equal Opportunities Statement of Intent
Bulphan Village Hall CIO acknowledges that the United Kingdom is diverse in culture, race, beliefs and religion and believes that no individual or group of people should receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, colour, race, nationality, racial or national origins, cultural heritage, disability, marital status, social background, sexual orientation or geographical location. The trustees acknowledge that members of these groups are often under-represented, exposed to prejudice and stereotyping, and suffer various disadvantages within our society.
The purpose of this statement is to set out clearly and fully the positive action that Bulphan Village Hall CIO intends to take to combat direct and indirect discrimination in employment policy, management of the organisation, relationships with other bodies and the services it provides to the community, community organisations and individuals.
Bulphan Village Hall CIO is committed to providing equality of opportunity in all areas of its work. It aims to overcome discrimination on the grounds mentioned above. The Equal Opportunities Policy will be implemented ensuring equality of provision in representation, service provision, appoint of staff and their conditions of service and access.
Our aim is to ensure that we become aware of discrimination and the problem it causes.
Bulphan Village Hall CIO will challenge practices, legislation and institutions, which seek to discriminate against or deny the rights of individuals or groups in any form.
Bulphan Village Hall CIO will seek to take positive action to address the inequalities in our society.
Bulphan Village Hall CIO is committed to the equal opportunities set out in this document and will work to develop, improve and monitor it.
The Equal Opportunities Policy and Code of Practice
The Bulphan Village Hall CIO acknowledges the definitions of various groups of people who are vulnerable to discrimination as set out in the Equality Act 2010. The trustees will support and implement the legislation and will work to ensure that no person protected by the legislation is discriminated against unlawfully, and that any positive obligations and duties are performed.
The trustees give the following specific commitments:
Bulphan Village Hall CIO will:
* Where reasonably practical widen accessibility by removing barriers which make ti difficult for people with disabilities to use the Hall.
* Provide facilities for people with disabilities to enable them to participate in activities
* Ensure that the design of publicity and information take account of the needs of people with disabilities
* Deal with any complaints of discrimination promptly, impartially, thoroughly and confidentially
* Ensure all staff, hirers and trustees are aware of the Hall’s policy on equality
* Ensure that the equal opportunities policy is monitored and reviewed annually
* Challenge racism in any form and encourage its users to do the same
* Challenge sexist policies, practices and attitudes and encourage users to do the same
* Endorse the right of each individual to his or her own religious belief or the absence of a belief
* Encourage people from underrepresented groups to attend and participate in the activities of the Hall
The Code of Conduct
1. People will be treated with dignity and respect regardless of the group to which they belong
2. People’s feelings and views will be valued and respected. Language or humour that people find offensive will not be used or tolerated e.g. racist jokes or derogatory terminology
3. No-one will be harassed, abused or intimidated on the grounds that they belong to a vulnerable group. Incidents of harassment will be taken seriously and the committee will undertake investigations of any complaints quickly, impartially, thoroughly and confidentially.
This policy will be reviewed annually at the Annual General Meeting